Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Goals and Plans

I am a very goal-oriented person.

I like to get things done, to make things happen. I don't sit around and dwell on things. It serves no purpose. I know what I want out of life. I want to be happy, I want to have a career that I enjoy and that I am good at, and I want to be financially secure. This is why I kick ass when doing my homework...because it leads to all the good things that I want. I'm a planner. Why? Because that's how you make things happen. I'm already planning for our move to Omaha and it's 10 months away. I'm already setting aside money for the move. Dan and I are already contemplating what stuff we're keeping and what we're selling or giving away. After a dozen moves, we've got this shit down.

I am realistic. I don't let myself get tied up in a fantasy world. That also serves no purpose. I know what I am capable of, and I also know what's best left alone. I am capable of a LOT. I know this. It has nothing to do with conceit or with arrogance. It's all about reality. I know what I can do. I encounter so many people, on a daily basis, that are lacking in self confidence. I wouldn't trade my self confidence for anything in this world.  I am honest with myself and honest with others. I don't need to try to be something I'm not. I am happy with who I am......and when someone else tells me that they are also happy with who I am--that kind of affirmation feels really good. I've worked really hard to get where I am, and it is nice when someone respectfully acknowledges it.

That being said...I don't "need" anyone, or affirmation from anyone, to complete me. I really don't. As far as other people go, I can take you or leave you....with the exception of my husband and kids, I don't "need" you to make my life happy. I do have certain friends that I would rather not be without...the ones that I would pretty much file in the "family" category, and a few others that I otherwise hold dear, but anyone else--yeah, they're not going to make or break me at all. That's reality. I like my life drama free. I don't like sifting through bullshit. I am fairly simple and very direct and that is the approach I like best. When someone inadvertantly leads me down the drama-and-bullshit trail, I feel sorry for a split second that they feel that they need to do this, but I don't have time in my life to try to analyze all the "why's". I'm too busy, I don't have time. Instead, I will just move on. Life's too short to spend extraneous amounts of time on things that are overdramatic and less than factual.

A very dear friend of mine says that I have "an irrepressible zeal for life." That is so accurate. I really do. I'm always looking for my next adventure. I wake up in the morning in anticipation of what the day may bring. Even a bad day is not the end of the world. If there's one thing I have learned well, it is that even a bad day or a bad situation can be turned into a very good one. I am courageous. I'm not afraid to confront a problem or issue, no matter how bad it sucks. I might not like it, but that's beside the point. My basic compulsion for problem-solving dictates that I MUST confront a problem when it arises. So I do.....and rarely am I disappointed. You never know what life might bring you. And you sure as hell can't get a do over, so you might as well make every moment count.

Sage words this Wednesday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment