Monday, May 23, 2011

Summer

So far, Summer '11 has been pretty......uneventful.

I like to think that this is a good thing. I was looking forward to a laid-back summer, a time to refresh and rejuvenate after a long, stressful school year. I have summer classes right now, but so far they aren't terribly taxing. This has left me with a lot of time to think.

I've been kind of sick, though. I'm battling a vicious infection right now, but I'm finally gaining the upper hand. This is a good thing, because this illness has been miserable and painful enough to make me want to punch holes in walls. Seriously. Not kidding at all. It's been that bad--but I'm finally at the point where I think I'm on the downhill slope of this thing. Thank God!

I'm still working on the whole discipline thing, and I'm not doing too badly. There is a lot more that I wish I WAS doing, but to be honest I am waiting until I feel less like shit. Then, I will implement the rest of my plan which includes more exercise and definitely more swimming. I've had to wrap my knee this summer, so I will be leaning heavily toward the swimming. I wish the park would dry out more. I want to play frisbee golf. That part of the park is pretty swampy still towards the pond, so I'm going to set that idea aside until a little later in the summer. My biggest accomplishment so far has to be my diet change. My last blood results sucked! Very vitamin/mineral deficient amongst other things. So my solution has been to bump up the veggies and fish and I've pretty much eliminated red meat altogether. I also rarely go over 400 calories a meal now because I've cut the hell out of my portion size. I keep telling myself that this is going to pay off. I'm not doing this for vanity, I'm doing it for health. There are things I want to accomplish in life and I want to be around to do it.

I went through 2 boxes of random stuff today and sorted for yard sale/giveaway/trash. This process will be ongoing until I go through everything, which will probably take the better part of the summer. But when I leave for Omaha, there is no way in hell I am taking all this crap with me. No one helps me clean it or put it away, so why bother? I just don't have time and I would prefer the simplicity, truly.

I am thoroughly enjoying my reading this summer. I am finishing "The Varieties of Religious Experience" and starting on "A History of God". My Comparative Religions class starts in July, and I just received the required texts...looks like I will be studying Judaism, Buddhism, and Islam in-depth. The study of Islam will be a nice segue into my Fall history class....that I am truly so looking forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment